- 5 slices of bacon
- 6-8 cups of air popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces/halves (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer to plate, crumble or chop into chunky pieces and reserve 1-2 tablespoons of drippings.
3. Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and put the popcorn in it, along with the pecans if you're using them.
4. Combine the brown sugar, maple/corn syrup, butter and reserved bacon drippings in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. It will foam up at first.
5. Quickly pour over the popcorn and stir to coat well, adding the reserved bacon. Tongs work well! Spread onto a cookie sheet or roasting pan and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Cool.
Makes about 7 cups.