- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 3-3 1/2 lbs mixed boneless pork (loin and leg)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup lard
- 1 orange, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- Warm tortillas
- i bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 white onion
- 8-10 pickled jalapeno chili slices
- 3 T. freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Crumble bay leaves. Add the dried thyme and marjoram. Grind the mixture to a fine powder.
2. Cut the pork into 2" cubes and place in a non-metallic bowl. Add the spice mixture and salt. Rub into the meat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, preferably overnight.
3. To make salsa, remove the stems from the cilantro and rough chop the leaves. Cut the onion in half, then slice each half thinly. Fine chop jalapeno slices.
4. Mix salsa ingredients in a bowl. Pour over freshly squeezed orange juice and toss gently. Cover and chill until needed.
5. Heat the lard in a flame proof casserole dish. Add pork mixture, with oranges, garlic cloves and onion. Brown the pork cubes on all sides.
6. Using a slotted spoon, lift out onion and garlic. Discard. Cover the casserole dish and cook over low heat for about 1.5 hours.
7. Remove the lid, lift out and discard orange wedges. Continue to cook mixture uncovered until all meat juices have been absorbed and th pork cubes are crisp on the outside and tender inside. Serve with warm tortillas and salsa.