- 8 strips of thick cut bacon
- 2 cups grated old cheddar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-12 fl. oz. bottle pale ale
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Transfer to paper-towel lined plate and let cool. Crumble all but one piece.
3. In a large bowl, whisk cheese, flour, backing powder, salt, and cayenne. Pour in beer and honey. Stir until combined.
4. Fold in bacon and pour into prepared pan.
5. Brush the top with melted butter and push remaining strip of bacon into the top.
6. Bake until loaf is golden and a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 60 minutes.
7. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out to cool on a rack. Serve warm with your favorite stew or soup.